Getting ready for Family Home Evening today, I came across this video, and it is so touching, I want to share it. My lesson is on noticing the needs of others and doing something about it.
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2011-04-005-our-hands-his-hands-our-hearts-his-heart?lang=eng

I want to teach my children to serve others by looking outside of themselves and by being willing to help others when they need it most. It just so happens that when they need it the most is when they don't ask for it. Especially in our family units. It is so easy to say, that is not my job, or its not my problem. I am guilty of that too. I get caught up in the trap of, " I have children, they should serve me by doing things for me that I am capable of doing myself." I need to remember that even though my kids are there, it is not always their responsibility to take a piece of garbage from me to throw away because I don't want to walk 5 feet to the garbage can, or that they do not need to pick up a towel off the floor because I don't want to pick it up myself.
So, This is the FHE lesson I built around my thought of noticing the needs of others.



Noticing the needs of others

1.     Give everyone a marshmallow, have them eat it
·        Did that taste good?
·        How would you describe what it tastes like?
2.     Give everyone and ice cube, have them keep it on their tongue as long as they can
3.     Immediately after the take out the ice, give them another marshmallow
·        Can you taste this marshmallow?
·        Why?
4.     Sometimes we get so caught up in taking care of ourselves that we forget to notice the thoughts. Feelings and needs of those around us. Just like the Ice cube numbed our tongue so that we couldn’t taste the 2nd marshmallow, when we think about ourselves all the time our hearts can numb to the needs of others around us.
·        When this happens is it easier or harder for God to use us as his hands and feet?
·        Why is it harder?(because we are not listening to him)
5.     Hand-out  -  5 needs list  and area below for journaling thoughts…
6.     Make a list of 5 needs that you people you know have( or an immediate family member) , Now make a goal to help meet them as a family.
·        What can we do to show these people love?
·        How can we serve them, like Jesus served us?
·        Does it have to be something huge or time consuming?
·        Will this help our hearts grow more compassionate and kind?
7.     Share Video from LDS media library Our hands, His Hands, Our Hearts, His Heart.
8.     Bear testimony on service and compassion. 

5 Needs of those around you
1.     ______________________________________________________
2.     ______________________________________________________
3.     ______________________________________________________
4.     ______________________________________________________
5.     ______________________________________________________


What can I do to serve and show compassion to others…

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charles birthday